NAWRB wishes you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving Day this Thursday, November 22nd. Arguably the most tastiest holiday, Thanksgiving is a national holiday that began as a celebration of the year’s harvest and was first celebrated by Pilgrims after their first harvest in the New World in 1621. Today, Thanksgiving is a day spent with loved ones as we enjoy delicious food together and give gratitude for the many blessings in our lives.
Fun Thanksgiving Facts
- President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed Thanksgiving as a national holiday on October 3rd, 1863
- 1989 was the first year a President, George H. W. Bush, pardoned a turkey
- Thanksgiving is the second-ranked favorite holiday in America
- Nine percent of Americans eat their Thanksgiving meal at a restaurant
- America’s favorite Thanksgiving dishes include turkey, stuffing, pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce
- Although turkey is commonly a staple, 25 percent of Americans might skip it this year
- Over $640 million is spent on Thanksgiving turkeys each year
- The average person spends around $335 during the five-day Thanksgiving period
- 50.9 million Americans will travel for the holiday this year, the most since 2007
- Ranked in order, Americans report being most thankful for family, health, personal freedom and friends
Thanksgiving is a joyous time where friends and family come together to create new memories while reminiscing about the year so far. Whether you spend the holiday cooking with family, watching a football game, filling your plates with good food, or simply enjoying each other’s company, we hope you have a memorable holiday. Don’t forget to thank the people in your life who make it special and remember the things you are fortunate to have.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!